European Space Education Resource Office (ESERO) Ireland promoting space as a theme to inspire and engage young people in STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). Space is fascinating to people of all ages, it is all around us and inspires us in many different ways. Space is the ultimate cross-curricular theme cutting across history, geography, science, maths, literature, religion! ESERO Ireland makes space themed resources accessible to teachers as a tool to engage their pupils.
ESERO Ireland is co-funded by the European Space Agency (ESA) and Discover Science and Engineering (DSE).
In particular, ESERO Ireland will:
- Use and disseminate existing ESA/ESERO education materials, and if appropriate, develop specific resources tailored to the needs of the education community
- Include space as a theme in the existing DSE programmes such as Discover Primary Science and Discover Sensors
- Motivate students to pursue a career in science and in space-related fields in particular
- Provide a point of contact for teachers, lecturers and others seeking information about space education
- Raise the European Space Agency’s (ESA) profile and foster general awareness within the education community and the public of the ESA’s work and Ireland’s involvement in the space industry
- Foster links with industry groups and public sector organisations that are participating in the space sector in Ireland
ESERO Ireland was established as part of the ESA Education initiative aimed at teachers. There are five ESERO’s throughout Europe